Soda, pop or soda pop. Whatever you call it may likely depend on where you live or what region of the country you grew up in. But, the bottom line is they can be bad for your oral health and deliver a blow to your teeth.
Sugar itself doesn’t do the damage, but the bacteria in your mouth feeds on the sugar to create acid, and that can erode the enamel that protects your teeth. Soda itself is very acidic. Between the bacteria feeding on the sugar and creating acid, every time you sip, soda starts an acid attack that lasts about 20 minutes. These ongoing acid attacks weaken the tooth enamel. This leads to an increased chance of, you guessed it, tooth decay.
If you’re a soda drinker, we’re not going to ask you to stop, but we do have some quick tips to help reduce any potential harm they may cause:
- Cut back. Drink soda in moderation. Try not to have more than one a day.
- Don’t let it linger. The longer it takes to drink a soda, the more time the sugars and acids have to damage your teeth.
- Rinse. If brushing isn’t an immediate option, rinse your mouth with water after drinking a soda. Flushing your mouth with some water will help wash away any remaining sugars and acids.
- Drink plenty of water, possibly in place of that extra soda you may have. Fluoridated tap water is best for your teeth.
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste and floss.